Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Spicy Garlic Hummus

There is nothing worse than craving something...having it and running out before your satisfaction is met. 

Today I had just enough Hummus for only a few veggie chips {and was trying to make this my "dinner"} 
"Party foul."

I looked in the cabinet. "Chick Peas? Check. Amelia occupied? Check." For those who are completely lost in the sauce, most Hummus' main ingredient is chick peas. They are full of protein & fiber and I use them pretty often to add some depth to a salad or for...hummus. 

I have made hummus before. Some are excellent, some are misses but this one I made up was quite amazing and I thought I would share...

Spicy Garlic Hummus:
- 1 Can of chick peas (drained, save some liquid separately)
- 1to 2 tbs. Spicy brown mustard
- 1 to 2 tbs. of Lousiana hot sauce
-Fat free Ranch dressing
-1 tablespoon of minced garlic
-1/4 teaspoon of salt
-1 lemon for juice
-Crushed seasoning for topping {and specifically for this post.}
*Money $aving tip: mince your own garlic and store in baby food jar with a little water in refrigerator. So much tastier than the store bought kind and without the preservatives! 


{This picture was taken before it was made. I gave the green chiles the boot and added the ranch and lemon.}

Add all ingredients into medium mixing bowl. I used an emulsifier hand blender to mix the ingredients and it gets it silky smooth without having the extra clean-up. If you need a little more liquid after adding the Ranch, use the chick pea liquid, not water. *This recipe makes 8oz.*

Disclaimer: As I have mentioned before in my recipes, I don't ever measure and they are always on a whim {which is why I never post recipes because there are no photos. I am not that prepared.} These measurements are just a shot-in-the-dark but I hope pretty dang close. 



TA-DA!!!


Go grab yourself some chips and indulge in this guiltless goodness. Give yourself a pat on the back, you just saved $3.00     :)

1 comment:

  1. I have had chickpeas in my cabinet for months wanting to make my own hummus but I always end up buying it at Costco! It is super cheap at costco :-)

    ReplyDelete